Sunday, November 23, 2008

The Bully Pig

In racing, they call it "swapping paint"...but that means both cars get injured in the crash. So, Lightning McQueen attacked Doc Hudson, but only got one tooth mark on his rear bumper. Doc Hudson was seriously injured, and had to go to the repair shop. It was over a BONE that wasn't picked up.
Not only does my foster have two drainage tubes and more stitches than I can count, HE IS CONVALESCING at my house. Yep. Sources say that dogs buddy back up, even after a fight. Not so much. At least in my experience. So, I'm practicing my surg tech skills and nursing skills as I get this ol' guy back to new for his new foster home on Wednesday. Lightning McQueen's, or the "bully pig"'s mouth has been incarcerated in a muzzle, and all bets are off as far as a reunion.
So, this has cooled my ardor for being that "hero" I talked about earlier. It has been a horrific experience...and I have some resentment about being made into a better dog owner by dealing with the aftermath of the attack.
Garth is doing remarkably well...Canoe has made it completely clear that NO males, young, old, gay or straight will be tolerated. After I get all the blood out of the carpet and off the walls, Canoe and I are going to do some training....and I have learned a lesson the hard way.

7 comments:

Zan said...

Oh wow Maria, I don't know who I feel worse for, you or Garth. Rosie jumped my Sugar like that one time, resulting in lots of stitches. I know I was more upset about it than either pup.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Poor Garth. It seems to happen to all of us at least once. Travis ripped Stacker a new one once and it took awhile for the tension to wear off. Even when the wounded was laying in an ex pen, Travis was giving us the impression he would like to finish him off. Travis, of course, bearly had a scratch on him. It eventually worked out and Stacker is still here today.

Jen

Lee Purdum Lehman said...

I'm so sorry, Maria. I can feel a wrenching in my heart for what everyone must've felt, dear dogs included. I hope for quick healing and better manners. It's probably a good thing that you're getting your schooling now. Fresh perspectives!! Hugs to all!!

Stephen said...

Nice drains! Poor guy. Hope the swelling goes away soon! I hate learning new things this way, don't you?

Van said...

It is not easy being a hero. They don't give the medal of honor to the guy that stays in the foxhole.

I hope this incident does not cool your desire to foster. Give Garth our best.

Heather said...

i've been out of the loop during the holiday - i'm so sorry about garth. it stinks to have this happen. but you're right - it makes you a much better dog owner. you learn from it, even if it takes awhile to learn to like your pup again and hopefully forgive yourself. hugs.

MG Blue Barron said...

Hey Maria,
I am catching up on blogs I have missed in the last week or so, sorry to hear about Garth. I think that Blue would be the same way with another male, but he sure does love those females! I think Fostering is just around the corner for us... did I just say that?!