Monday, September 15, 2008

Hoofbeats in my Heart



This weekend I got to be a "jump judge" at a lovely event. So the reason all the angles are the same is because I was at jump #1 all day!

I was the girl who always wanted a horse. My parents were kind enough to allow me lessons in an effort to satisfy the longing in my heart...but their pocketbooks (and perhaps, sensibilities) didn't stretch as far as our big back yard. So, I had many girlfriends who had horses. And on Saturdays, you could find me mucking stalls and hopefully riding and giggling with Beth, or Vanessa....breathing in that wonderful horsey perfume and trying to figure out how in the hell you are supposed to keep your heels down and toes in.

Now, as an adult, I've ridden sporadically...you know, those "beach rides" on vacation, where you can't do more than a walk, and usually in a western saddle....I celebrated my 40th birthday in Montana at a horse ranch...and I actually started taking lessons again (a few years back) and wondered what happened to my leg muscles.

The cabash happened when I was posting around the ring, and Victor and the instructor's kids came running out of the nearby office, slamming the screen door, and I was thrown. While it WAS a bit thrilling to find myself face down in the dirt (how many times do you really fall in midlife????) The next day I was SO SORE.

Long story...but the ending is, GREYHOUNDS actually satisfy my need to have a horse....and going to events like this one!

5 comments:

Heather said...

i always wanted a horse as well, and when i turned 30 i received one in a random twist of fate. so now i have clyde - a 3 year old paint. i'd never ridden one day in my life and i broke him myself (with the help of my trainer). i take lessons every week. i've fallen and been stepped on even and you're right - when you're older it's not fun. but i love him. he's like my 900 lb dog. but i ride western - old people require handlebars on their saddle if you ask me :)

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Its funny because dog agility is full of women who used to ride horses including me. Its a satisfying outlet.

Next time, we must rotate jump judging positions. I'd like to have changed angles myself.

Jen

Anonymous said...

Alan's sister does http://www.fc4htrp.org/ This is a 4H Therapeutic Nonprofit. She has horses of her own too, so on a trip home, you can head to Thurmont and ride to your heart's content for free. She has 50 head, I think.
Funny I didn't know you were a mucker. I was a mucker with my friend, Bonnie, as a teenager. Much we haven't shared. Sigh. I love you!! Godmutha

Zan said...

What a perfect day!! I always loved horses too. Paid for my riding lessons by cleaning out stalls and helping in beginners lessons. Seemed like there was always a horse owned by a girl who'd grown more interested in boys, but wasn't quite ready to sell the horse that needed exercising. I was always up for that job.

Denise- LessIsMore17 said...

Were you there on Sat or Sun? Me, Matt, Peanut and Limo all made a pop in on Sunday- hottest part of the day. Looked like a fun event, I should have volunteered...Peanut cooled herself off some at one of the water jumps, course I forgot my camera though.
Greyhounds are little horses.