Monday, May 12, 2008

Mother's Day...a Hallmark Event?


WHOA. So if someone told me that I would have two children one day....when I was 10 or 15 or 20 something, I woulda' said, "no way, Jose". My passion was and still is finding the answer to the question, "WHY". So why did I choose to become a Mom, ditch my career, and get down to the dirty diaper business?

After meeting my
husband, the "no way Jose" turned into, "well, maybe...but only because I know that YOU will be a great Dad, and will CO-PARENT".






Mixed in with that was a completely misdirected curiousity about what our offspring would look like. (This was before computer programs that could answer this question). I didn't think further about many things, like once you got 'em, you can't return 'em. You can't leave them crated while you're out and about...and that your dream may be just that...a dream, and the reality would be different.
****




My mother was incredible. She LOVED her children, and woulda' had 12 if her vericose veins hadn't been that bad...if she hadn't almost died after having #4 b/c of a blood clot with wanderlust. (#4 was an
d is my personal favorite sibling)



Being a mother has been the most challenging job I have ever had. It is not a "Hallmark moment"...it's been more of a boot camp that teaches me more about my strengths and weaknesses...how to ANSWER the question "Why" instead of just asking it...and an amazing way to recognize what my Mom sacrificed...with finesse and creativity and joy. I can't tell you how many times I called my Mom to say thanks...how in the heck did you pull this off?


This is a job for the brave of heart...for the soft of heart...for those who are willing to have themselves blended on high in the kiddie mixer...hoping that what pours out is better than what is poured in.

BTW, my hub is a great Dad....my children are beautiful...and I only think about returning them occassionally.

1 comment:

Denise- LessIsMore17 said...

I'm still in the no way jose stage and Matt's in the maybe category :-/

OK, you gotta explain your blog title to me, I don't get the hearse part?