Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The results


The vet called last week and let us know that Franklin does have fibro sarcoma. She said she estimates that he has about 2 months left, if that. We have not told the kids yet, and will be getting a game plan together to do so.

You would never know that he is "sick". Thankfully, the tumor does not have any nerves...but can grow to amazing proportions. He is still happily scarfing down food, jumping on the counter and giving Siamese dissertations whenever possible.

We have decided to forego the surgery route since the tumor is so large, and will give palliative care from here on out. The vet said that we would know when it was time to let him go.

I admire and don't understand the lengths that people will go for their beloved pets. Believe me, if this was a matter of a cyst, he'd be right in there....but I will not make his last few weeks or months on this earth painful ones. I wish we didn't have to travel this road, but since we do, we will do it with dignity, integrity and love...I hope.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Oh, I am so sad for you. But I know you will do the right thing. Cats are amazing animals and you never know, two months can turn into six, that turn into 12 that turn into 24 so quickly. And if he's like our Siamese, and the old saying is true, the most stubborn and ornery last the longest just out of spite :). Just love him and baby him. I will be thinking of you and your family. Please keep posting pictures of him here.

Denise- LessIsMore17 said...

Awww, I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty:-( it really does suck that they can't be with us forever.
*Jingles* that he lives everyday happy and painfree until he passes.
HUGS.