Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The "Burglar Phase"

Mommy! What was THAT noise????? Mommy! I heard the door open!!!!! Mommy! I thought I saw someone downstairs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah yes, the burglar phase...a period of time when your otherwise very confident child turns into a paranoid security advisor.

Victor went through this...and being my first child, I went through a bunch of crazy self examination....am I giving him enough attention? Does he feel like he's responsible for his safety b/c no one else is? What can I do to make him more comfortable in our home? Is this an indicator that he doesn't feel safe in his world? Maybe I need to really monitor his PBS shows to see if that is causing it...sometimes "Arthur" can be a bit risque. HAS HE ALREADY BEEN THE VICTIM OF A CRIME THAT I DON'T KNOW ABOUT???!!!!##!

Whew.
I'm exhausted after remembering that. With lovely child #2, THANK GOD I realize this is a phase...this too shall pass, and everything is OK. I'm even tempted to ask her if she's checked her closet and looked under her bed...after all, monsters aren't stopped by locks.

3 comments:

Patti said...

When I was a child, I was convinced there were alligators under my bed. I would toss pillows on the floor and use them as stepping stones to get out of my bedroom. Once I fell between the bed and the wall while sleeping, which of course immediately woke me up and more importantly, I had to get away from the alligators. It was scary!!

Zan said...

Kids are amazing aren't they? When Wheeler was that age he went thru a phase where he was scared of the "hair man" at night. I felt all the guilt and self doubt you described with your son. I had told him once, when he got up with mussed hair, that the hair man had come to see him. It took me weeks to figure out that the guy who had replaced our gutters months before sported long, frizzy, messy hair. He thought that guy was coming in his room at night.

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhh dear! We didn't have monsters in our house, but Big Foot was at every window and door!! I praised the inventor of blinds and shades and drapes. They keep a myriad of bad things at bay!! Love ya, monster slayer!! Godmotha