Monday, January 21, 2008

The Red Dog



Here's the "Red Dog" portion of my Blog title...his name is Canoe, racing name, Canuhemisaurus. Greyhound...red hound in his most fashionable Elvis coat...b/c he ain't nothin but a hound dog!

I adopted Canoe about a year and 1/2 ago...he will be 4 years old on February 1. As for me, I have certainly aged too since the fishing picture. Canoe is love....what a wonderful beast. Why greyhound? Funny...I wanted a "purebred" but also wanted to save a life...ah, greyhound, perfect match.

I have become active in the Southeastern Greyhound Association...and am surprised by my passion for these dogs and their lives. Next month I am going to JCKC in Monticello, Florida, previous home of the Red Dog to do a documentary about how these dogs come to us in Georgia. I am anxious to see this track which is the "end of the line" for many dogs...the others get adopted...like Canoe.

Many times in my life it has been easier for me to help animals than people. Animals don't have words or an agenda. Canoe lives in the present and burps loud, farts softly, and doesn't hide what's in his heart (or gut). He's a good role model for me.

2 comments:

Heather said...

That Elvis coat ROCKS! It looks so handsome on him. But then again, that Canoe is a handsome boy. Seka always likes to flirt with him when they see each other.

Kathy said...

I have a red fawn greyhound too. He was from the JCKC kennels in Florida. His racing name is Continental Tex... he is on my blog somewhere. Are you also on Greytalk?

kathy