Sunday, January 20, 2008

My Mom


Many years ago, almost 30 or so, my Mom chose to be an activist in our family of 7. I thank God that she did, for now, looking back on this picture, and then, as a little girl, this instilled a theme for my life, one of courage. Sometimes I do good by her....sometimes I feel that my life is but a shadow of her life...harnessing myself with her restrictions...her limitations...and her fear.

On this day, my father gathered my brothers and said they were going fishing...of course I wanted to go, but Pop said, "fishing is not for girls". My Mom broke out a sheet and some markers..I fashioned my fishing pole from a sunflower stem and some string...and by God, we marched to the pond...and by God, I caught that there fish you see in the picture. My father was flamboozled. He didn't know what to make of his wife and daughters...and he did not say much. Ooooo, I was proud...of myself and my Mom.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I love this story. And a mighty fine fishing pole, might I add. The best part is you made rally signs too! I think I missed Liberation on a spelling test once in school.

Denise- LessIsMore17 said...

Hah! That is a great story and what a fabulous photo to remember it by!